Thursday, August 12, 2010

A trip to the ER

So I got a call yesterday around 2:30 from my daycare mom saying that Izak had a bloody lip and probably needed stitches..uh talk about a helpless feeling, ok, i said what happened? Apparently Milo my busy 3 year old who is very very accident prone and hits his head at least twice a day, is always in a hurry and has to be the first one no matter what to get somewhere or something before anyone else.... ok i get it i was and still kinda am the same way...my bad.. anyway They were both running for the steps which is my understanding and Milo (my little cults) tripped and flew into Izak my 23 month old and pushed him into the corner of the wall they were both crying and Izak was all bloody. When Daycare asked my oldest what happened she didn't believe him...only because Jasper said it was an accident... and just the day before Milo hit Izak on the top of the head with a toy so I get it I would of had a hard time believing that to if there wasn't a witness.
I called the Doc and got an appointment told them the story and when I got there he looked at Izak's lip and said he needs to go to the ER we can not stitch him here because he needs to be sedated! SEDATED!!!! YOUR GOING TO SEDATE MY 23 MONTH OLD! ok I was rather calm considering what they were saying I just didn't know what to feel I was nervous but yet it could of been worse.
Needless to say I took Izak to the ER I called my dad and mom to let them know what was going on and they asked if I wanted them to come up...sure did! So they got up there not to much longer after I did and we "Izak" was just getting called back to the intake area, once that was done we got a "room" I was excited because things were moving along pretty nicely we arrived at 5 got a room before 6 pretty good for the ER then the waiting began....people came in and out and looked at his lip then we waited way to long....do they not realize that a 23 month old does not have patients locked in a small room with all sorts of fun looking stuff he cant touch sheesh!!.... Finally someone came in at 6:30 and put some numbing topical on his arms for when the insert the IV then put a clear band aid looking thing over that we had to wait 15 minutes for that to work so there was another thing I had to distract him from trying to pull of the band aids! about 7 we got moved into another room where they would do the procedure. There were two male nurses coming in and out letting me know what was going on. Then suddenly the time came to insert the IV it took the two of them and me to hold my poor baby down, with him screaming and crying owe owwe owwwwee do you know how hard that is...its even worse when they stick the needle in and do it wrong the first time and have to redo it!! I had to deal with that all over again finally when it was in they gave him a drug so he wouldn't remember what happened...where's my drug I dont want to remember it either!
They explained what the next medicine would do, the one that would sedate him, it would make him hallucinate and his eyes twitch but that its normal and he would be fine... uh...ok i guess i have no choice! When they put that in he started to giggle! OMG my kid is high WTH it was pretty funny but weird and scary they had to give him more and then he relaxed and layed down on me with his eyes open and twitching it was so weird to see this. The Doc came in explained she was gonna put one stitch in and that I could touch him just not to touch the sterilized cloth over him. So finally at 7:30 when she goes to put in the stitch I see his yes peeking through the hole in the cloth i see the needle go in his lip and he reaches up for it and says ouch! He is so drugged up but yet he felt that! Yes the Dr says but he wont remember it...why didn't you numb it...I got no response back...
Finally got out of there and home around 8:30 he was so hungry he found old popcorn in his car seat and ate some of that ick! he wanted to walk but couldn't because he was still "under the influence" I got some cute video of him.
Woke up this morning stitch still in and he is a happy little boy.
First of many ER visits to come im sure...
Life with 3 boys is never dull that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap Beth. I can't imagine. Actually.. yes I can and I feel for you. Dalton's first set of stitches had him in a papoose and screaming. He was 3, but they didn't give him anything to help him forget.

    As of today, he is in his 3rd cast, second broken bone and has had more stitches that I can count. He's 15.

    ReplyDelete